Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Month twelve: Born into history

Madeus lived history last night when the first African American President, Senator Barack Obama, was voted in to the White House. Regardless of political beliefs, it was a monumental event that marks the history into which Madeus was born and will shape a good part of his future. And he has been part of it from the beginning - He was with me in utero as I explored Barack Obama's public speeches with my students in my rhetoric and social controversy class. He came to my political communication class when my students presented their passion for this candidate. After refusing to sleep, he sat on my lap contently during Obama's Democratic National Convention acceptance speech. He strolled along with Michael and me in downtown Denver as we were infected by the convention energy, protests, and events. And last night, as I cast my vote for the first time at a poll, and for the first time as a New York resident, Madeus pulled the red lever and helped pick the next president of The United States of America.

When Barack Obama was born, his parents, a white woman and a black man, would not be allowed to marry in the state of Virginia. Last night Obama, beat out Senator John McCain for the presidency in that very same state, a traditionally "red" state.

I am old enough to know we have a lot of work to do as we continue the fight for equality of race, ethnicity, culture, gender, and sexual preference in this country. In addition, we are in the middle of two wars, a dangerous economy, and an energy crisis. However, for the first time, in a long time, I am not as fearful that I brought a child into this world. In fact, I feel a little excited. Obama delivered the strongest acceptance speech I can remember hearing or reading. He spoke with humility, somberness of the enormity of our tasks, and with the poise, intelligence, and passion that inspired the highest turnout of voters ever in the history of America (14 MILLION more to be exact).

Madeus slept soundly through this late night speech, and I will have to admit, I slept a little more soundly as well.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My daughter - you did it once again - took my breath away with your words filled with wisdom, compassion and heart. Madeus - you are in for such a wonderful life.

My love for you grows monumentally each day watching you be the mother you are Love, Your so proud Mom