Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Three!: Finding God

Big issues are coming up in Madeus' life, ones that Michael and I have not necessarily decided on how to handle or address.  We have had a few discussions about God, other people have mentioned a few things about Heaven, and I think he also may have had some discussions at school.  I was more comfortable with God discussions but it was hard for me to introduce death.  I know it is a necessary introduction at some point.  However, being a child is the only opportunity to live without the fear of the inevitable and to me that is such a short gift.  While I avoided use of the word, he has picked it up somewhere.  We were on a family farm for the weekend and he found a deceased frog. He told me it was dead.  I asked what that meant.  He said, "It means that it does not move."  I told him we are going to the farm and he said, "We are going to see God."  I asked him who God was.  He told me, "He (I am not sure if he identifies God as a male because he still refers to both genders sometimes as "he") lives in the sky and protects us."  Today, Michael said to Madeus, "It is going to rain. Do you know who makes the rain?" He said,"No." So Mike prompted him with "Mother ..." And Madeus yelled out, "No! Mother Nature does not make the rain, God does!" After he yelled at Mike he reconsidered and said, "Mother Nature and God live together in the sky as family."


The wheels are turning in that beautiful little mind.  I hope we can find the right balance of protection, self discovery, and critical thinking as he ponders the big questions.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Great post Letia. A very fertile yet rarely talked about topic.