Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Three!: Analysis This

I find Madeus so hard to write about right now because so much is going on in that little sponge of a brain. I find myself saying three to four times a day, "I should write that down." But then the whole thing gets too overwhelming, and I have a blank page.  His ability to connect, negotiate, rationalize, argue, and reason experiences amazes me.  He is very hard to argue with and starts every sentence with a "but".  I am beyond nervous for the teenage years.

Here are a few of my favorite examples of his little analytical mind:

He talks about angles and toxins and uses words like discussion, frustration, and issues.  Yesterday he told me. "I have a lot of issues."  When he goes poo, he says, "I feel better now because I got all my toxins out."

If he sees a toy that looks similar to another toy he will remark about it.  Dempsey got a car with a handle for his birthday. Madeus remembered that a few days before he had received another little wheeled transport thing that had a handle as well.

He loves riddles and word games right now.  Clues are all the rage.  Today we were working on the letter A. I said, sometimes when we are fighting we call it a _____ and he filled in "argue".

Most times when we use a word he does not know, he asks what the word means.  Often, he will then use the word soon after.

He used to categorize "boys" and "girls" a lot.  He recently learned the words "male" and "female".  So now he categorizes everyone first by "penis" or "vagina", then as "boy" or "girl", than as "male" or "female".

Today he went to turn on the lights in his room and they did not work.  He came to me and said, "Mom the electricity is out."" (I have no idea where he learned this).

A few days ago he said, "Shit." I said, "Madeus, we do not say that word.  He said, "But mom, I did not say shit to you, and I did not say shit to Dempsey, I just said shit to my cars."

Last week he said, "Mom, I am worried that Dempsey is a vampire." And then he said, "Mom, what is a vampire?"

A while back I told him to eat his vegetables so that he can grow big and strong.  He said that he did not want to eat his vegetables because he did not want to get big because than he could not play with cars.

We have been saying that sometimes a person does a not nice thing but that does not mean they are not a nice person.  So the other day Madeus made a big mess and I told him to clean it up.  He said, "Mom, just because I made that mess does not mean I made that mess."

So the connection is there sometimes just not the execution.

Or maybe he is a philosopher.

No comments: