Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Month five: Head, Shoulders, Elbows, Feet - Elbows, Feet

This has been an intense couple of weeks surrounding issues of mothering in academia. I am still digesting and hope to blog about it soon. In the meantime, I want to make sure and document what the little man has been discovering about himself.

Last week it was his foot. He just found it one day and kept staring at it and once in a while, was able to hold on to it. Then, we went for a walk and we noticed he was waving his foot in the air as he strolled along. Next, I noticed him staring at Mike's foot as it was propped up on the coffee table and Madeus was in his lap. Mike was moving his foot back and forth and Madeus started to do the same. I told Mike to move it up and down and Madeus followed. He then changed to moving it side to side and again Madeus followed. It was a super cool moment of mimicry. Yesterday, it was his elbow. He was so fascinated by it that, temporarily of course, said elbow took the place of his mobile as his favorite object. He would put his right arm over his head and use his left arm to investigate the right elbow, almost rolling himself on to his side. He would stroke it, grab it and try to watch it all at the same time. Although, this was difficult because the mobile was still on and that was distracting of course. Today, it was his first tooth. He may have not discovered this yet but I did. It is barely there, just a little bit of white peaking through, but exciting none the less. He has also tasted pickles, apples, cucumbers, carrots, and sweet potato this week so maybe he just decided it was time for a tooth so he could speed this eating process along.

1 comment:

amandakate said...

Elbows and feet, how sweet!!! I see him in 9 days!!! Love you!