Best Bang for the Buck:
Sassy safe feeder: http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2738035
Great for early fee
ding, teething, and having something for Madeus to do. Around six months we realized that it would be beneficial for Madeus to chew on a net that had some food in it since he is always chewing on plastic. We put in frozen peaches, bananas, carrots, mango, etc. This can get messy but they attach to a pacifier chain, have replaceable nets, and this model has a refrigerator ball to keep contents cold. At $6.99 this is by far the best investment we have made in the last several months.A necessary bulk item we didn't have to sacrifice style for:
Graco Wooden Highchair, http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2785197. We tried to avoid the high chair for as long as possible but we don't have a real table so a booster was not an option and this one actually looks nicer than most of our furniture. I know Eddie Bauer and various European companies have wooden high chair styles but I think this one is relatively new. It doesn't feel bulky and has a clear plastic tray that covers the wood tray which can be easily removed to wash. Plus, Madeus was a bit scared about the giant tray a first, so the little tray option worked great to ease him into it. A little more than I wanted to spend but it totally feels worth it now.
A bulk item we DID have to sacrifice style for:
Baby Einstein, activity center, http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2861775
I recently came to the point where I did not know where I would put Madeus. He sits up well, but we have wood floors and that head is big. He hates swings, doesn't last lying down under his mobile much anymore, and the verdict is still out on his Johnny Jumper thing. Luckily, our cousins gave us this as a hand me down because it is $80 and takes up a lot of space but so far, it has been so, so helpful. I do wish the toys were replaceable since his cousin has already done a number on a few of them.
A Toy he actually used:
Thanks to my sister-in - law, Laura, we have these blocks,
http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3012722. He loves them, they make noises, are soft, he can hold them with both hands and feet, and they were his impetes to finally roll from back to front last month.
No shelf life in this house:
Baby Bumbos: I know these are all the rage and it was cool that he could sit up but it was short lived and since you can't leave them unattended it may not be a necessity.
Swings: We tried two types.
Stationary chair: Really it seems anything Madeus is strapped into he dislikes.
Finally: Madeus is full swing into solid foods and since this milestone came at the time of farmer's markets and my schedule getting a little calmer, we have been able to make his food. I have a couple of good books, but I have found www.wholesomebabyfood.com to be the best resource. It is extensive and gives lots of different opinions, recipes, cooking options, etc. I love making his own food. We just freeze it in an ice tray and then pop the cubes into freezer bags. It is so, so, so much cheaper and I love knowing what he is eating. Plus, as he is slowly starting to ween (really slowly, remember this boy is attached), it is a good emotional supplement for me. We have learned a lot about the nutrients in every type of food and steam a lot more now, so I think it has been good all around for us. Plus, fruit purees make awesome frozen margaritas!

No comments:
Post a Comment