Wednesday, November 10, 2010

THREE!: Charmed by Cars

Madeus turned three yesterday and in Madeus fashion, his celebration will have a theme all week. CARS. As I have mentioned, he lives, eats, and breathes cars right now. He wants nothing else for his birthday. We tried to get him a few other items because we know everyone else is getting him cars. Yet in order not to disappoint him too greatly with backpacks and puzzles, Monday he received a race car track on his wall, which he has been racing up and down (I am sure our new paint job will not last much longer). We got him a chair covered in cars and a stoplight on Tuesday. And at his birthday party next Saturday, race cars will be all the rage.
Each birthday has had a definite focus corresponding with Madeus' systematic and focused way of play. 1 was all about balls, 2 was all about fire trucks, and 3...CARS

We celebrated in a nice quieter way yesterday since he has a week of celebration. Presents in the morning, Lucky Strike Bowling Alley for lunch (yes it is technically a bar and I could do without the scantly clad uniforms but they have awesome food, bowling, and warm cookies plus it is on our block), and a movie in the afternoon. I also resisted putting Madeus in time out all day as an extra present.

I have said this in a previous post but again I was struck by how much enjoyment I get out of and how meaningful Madeus' birthday is to me. When I was pregnant with Madeus, I was sick my entire birthday and I threatened my belly that I was going to take his first birthday as my own. And in a way, each of his birthdays is a little bit for me, or at least, a time for reflection, pride, and unencumbered celebration.

3 comments:

amandakate said...

Your words on his celebration made me smile. Thank you! I love the racetrack on the wall!!

nichole said...

That racetrack is awesome!!!

Wendy said...

It's fun to read about Madeus and to get some insight on what's next for us. He is real cute! His use of adverbs is quite funny. Hope you all had a nice time celebrating his 3rd.