Madeus is competitive. Maybe it is natural stage. Maybe it is the product of his two competitive parents.
In any respect, I am trying to calm it just a bit. Not necessarily with himself just yet but in the comparisons and rankings he has started with his peers. “Am I smarter than Stella?” “Who do you love more?” “Stella could not put a puzzle together so I must be smarter.” In response to his questions and statements, I have found that talking about difference seems to make sense to both him and me. I have responded, “I love you, Daddy, and Dempsey all differently.” or “You may be better at the puzzle right now, and Stella may be better at reading right now, we all have different things we are good at at different times.”
Today, I asked if I was the prettiest mama ever. (Perhaps showing a vulnerability since he recently stated he is falling in love with other people.)
He looked at me closely and said, “You are the differentest prettiest." And gave me a thumbs up.
Ah little man, you teach me everyday. Especially to practice what I preach.

No comments:
Post a Comment