8 Days
Dear Madeus,
When you were 4 and ½, your grandmother, Moma and your
great-grandfather, Poppy, along with the cat, George, and the dog, Mahna Mahna,
came to stay with you for 8 days. They were evacuated from their homes, my
childhood home, because of a serious fire that began in Waldo Canyon and still
burns in our communities on July 1st 2012, after 8 days, with 45% containment
and 18,000 acres and counting burned. They went home today and emotions are
mixed.
For you and for all of us, we were given the gift of time
during such fear and anxiety.
Since Moma still works outside of the home, you usually don’t
get this kind of quality time. She played cars with you, picked you up from
school, played dominoes, and took you to the movies (twice).
And the time with your 84 year-old, Poppy, frankly would
never have happened.
Let’s just say it can be a challenge getting him out of the
comfort of his home, away from the golf channel, and into the big city. Because of the evacuation, he visited your
school, went to the library with you and bought you lunch, and since we do not
have tv channels, watched Superman with you instead.
This was the week of your great grandmother’s death (Nanny)
and also their anniversary. I do believe that us being thrown together helped
him move through the emotions those days bring as well, and we all had the
chance to toast their anniversary all together with dinner.
The fire brought tragedy, destruction, and guilt. By most
accounts (although wildfires are never predictable), our communities up the
Pass should have been greatly affected.
In some spots the fire touched the narrow highway that separates the
north and south side, the fire remained active less than a mile away from town.
However, a dramatic shift in the wind threw the fire into an unexpected
community in Colorado Springs, Mountain Shadows, destroying 346 homes and
taking two lives. On day 4 of the fire, Colorado Springs looked apocalyptic as
dear friends and community members rushed to safety.
And our communities remained relatively untouched as the volunteer
fire departments of these towns worked around the clock, and were commended in
reports seen around the States by the federal incident commands for their
diligence.
Our communities were saved because of a blow of the wind and other
communities were destroyed because of that shift. This reality is incredibly
sobering and brings to the forefront the vulnerability we face in the presence
of Nature.
| Up from my elementary school, Ute Pass Elementary. Photo by Jim VanScoten |
Your grandmother, Moma, left her home, her town, yet again
threatened with fire a mere 4 months after her workplace, the Town Hall, was
destroyed by arson.
It would have been
understandable for her to be anxious, consumed, and angry throughout this week.
Instead, she was gracious, incredibly helpful, and remained present and
grateful for the love that surrounded her.
Your grandfather, taken away from his comfort zone and holder of a
strong personality, should have been rigid, strict, and short-tempered.
Instead, he was gracious, adaptable, and open-minded.
I will be happy to sleep in my own bed again tonight after 8
days on an air mattress and I know they will be happy to do the same as well.
And I know our hearts will remain heavy for those who lost the opportunity to do the same.
I caught a remarkable amount of 11:11 wish opportunities
this week, too many to be a coincidence. Your Aunt Amanda would be proud. Many
wishes were answered.
I remain so grateful for this time of family, community, and
most importantly, to the firefighters. Madeus, I know you are fond of Superman
and Spiderman right now, but as I saw in a posting over this last week, the
real superheroes here are truly the firefighters among us.

2 comments:
Beautiful Lee!! I, too, was able to catch more 11:11's than i have in recent years. I will never doubt the power of 11:11. GMFU stands!
oh, i'm so glad to have this little update from you and your crew. I've been wondering how you were all fairing, and now I know! Wow! You and yours and the rest of the state are in our prayers!!
Post a Comment